Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga Temple, Khed taluka, Pune district

Address : Bhimashankar wadi Maharashtra 410509

District : Pune

Phone : Not Available

Completed : 13th century

Deity : Bhimashankar (Shiva Shankar)

Famous For : Maha Shivaratri

 

Overview:

Bhimashankar Mandir (also known as Bhimashankar or Bhimashankar Jyotirlinga) is a Shiva mandir situated in its eponymous village, Bhimashankar, in Pune district of Maharashtra. It is a key pilgrimage centre and one of the 12 Jyotirlinga in the world. The temple’s Shiva lingam is one of the three Jyotirlinga of Maharashtra. The mandir is situated on a mountain. It is 110 kilometers away from Pune. The temple’s vicinity has rare plant and animal species. The mandir is located in Khed taluka, in the Bhimashankar forest range. The Bhima River originates from the Bhimashankar village, and the hills of the Manmad village are present near it, there are old rock carvings of the God Bhimashankar, Bhootings and Amba-Ambika on these hills. According to Namdev, a saint in the medieval era, Saint Jnaneshwar went to Tryambakeshwar and then Bhimashankar. Namdev himself has also visited this place. Bhimashankaram shrine and the Bhimarathi river have been talked about in writings as far back as the 13th century; however, the current construction of the temple seems to be fairly new. The temple is built in the Nagrara style, which combines traditional and modern designs. The temple hall was constructed during the 18th century by Nāna Phadnavis of Peshwa. The Gopura-shikhara of the temple was built by Nāna Phadnavis. The village of Kharosi was granted to the temple by King Shivaji. The daily religious observance was funded through the financial resources which derived from the people of the area. He offered one here at Bhimashankar and the others in Menavali, near Wai, in front of a Shiva temple on the banks of the Krishna River, the Banshanker Temple in Pune, the Omkareshwar Temple in Pune, and the Ramlinga Temple in Pune (Shirur).Portuguese church’s bell of Vasai donated by Chimaji Appa in 1739 Chimaji Appa (Brother of Bajirao I) donated a big bell to the temple, which is visible in front of the temple.This is one of the many Portuguese colonists’ church’s bell, which Chimaji – Maratha Empire army brought it from Vasai as souvenirs after defeating Portuguese at the Battle of Baçaim on 16-17 February 1739. This type of bell also present at the Khandoba temple and Naro Shankar mandir in Nashi.

Timing : 5:00 Am to 9:30 Pm
Verified by MonsterInsights