Parshvanath Temple

Address : Eastern Group of Temples, Sevagram, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh 471606

District : Chattarpur

Phone :094258 79049

Completed : 950–970 CE

Deity : Parshvanath

Famous For :Parshvanath Jayanti

Overview:

Parshvanatha temple (IAST: Pārśvanātha Mandir) is a 10th-century Jain temple at Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh, India. It is now dedicated to Parshvanatha, although it was probably built as an Adinatha shrine during the Chandela period. Despite the temple’s Jain affiliation, its exterior walls feature Vaishnavaite themes. The entrance has an inscription with a most-perfect magic square. It is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site along with other temples in the Khajuraho Group of Monuments, because of its outstanding art, architecture, and testimony of the Chandela period.
The temple is believed to have been constructed by a prominent Jain family between 950 and 970 CE, during the reign of the Chandela king Dhanga. A 954 CE (1011 VS) inscription on the left door jamb of the temple records gifts and endowments of gardens by one Pahila. The gardens are named Pahila-vatika, Chandra-vatika, Laghuchandra-vatika, Shankara-vatika, Panchaitala-vatika, Amra-vatika and Dhanga-vadi. The inscription describes Pahila as a devotee of Jinanatha and states that he was held in great esteem by the king Dhanga. The earliest idol enshrined in the temple appears to have been that of Adinatha. When the British archaeological surveyor Alexander Cunningham visited in 1852, he found the main sanctum deserted. He described it as “Jinanatha temple” and wrote that it had been repaired by a Jain banker in 1847. In 1860, a Parshvanatha idol was installed in the main sanctum. An Adinatha statue was placed in a secondary shrine attached to the rear of the temple. The temple has been classified as a Monument of National Importance by the Archaeological Survey of India.

Timing : 5:00 Am to 12:00 Pm - 4:00 Am to 9:00 Pm
Verified by MonsterInsights